Friday, August 14, 2009

Willie & the Poor Boys

Willie & I took in a Sounds game tonight. Boys' night out.  Best part for him was the concessions. Peanuts, cotton candy, Icee's. Best part for me was his reaction when I told him that just the two of us were going to the ballpark. 

This is our conversation in the car on the way to the game as best as I can recall it. CCR's "Down on the Corner" had just come on the radio.

Dad:  Willie, you might like this song.

Willie:  Why?

Dad:  It's about a boy named Willie.

Willie:  Hey, that's my name.

Dad:  (After a couple minutes of the song playing) What do you think?

Willie:  I like it, but it don't say nothin' about Willie.

Dad:  Yes it does, right there, it says "Willie and the Poor Boys are playin'..."

Willie:  I know some boys that are poor.

Dad:  Oh really?  Who?

Willie:  I'm not tellin'. It's a secret club. I'm the president.

Dad:  Oh really?

Willie:  Actually, I know about a rich boys club too.  Clay is in it and Davis is in it.  That's all.

Dad:  How do you know they are rich?

Willie:  (Incredulous) Clay's got lots of money! I've seen it! He's got thousands of monies!

Dad:  Really?

Willie:  Yeah...he's got three packs of pennies. He showed 'em to me.

Dad:  What about Davis? How do you know he's rich?

Willie:  Have you not seen how he dresses?  He's got forty dollars!

Dad:  How much money do you have?

Willie:  Forty dollars. That's how much you have to have to be in the club 'cause that's how much you have to have to be rich.

Oh, for the days when I felt the same way.  Although, based on that criteria, I'm not sure which boys' club I would get to join.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure you would be in the "poor boys" club.

Love you,

Mom

Total Pageviews