Sunday, January 23, 2011

Birthday Week Recap

Happy Birthday to our babies! Do I have to stop calling them "babies" because they are 7 and 4 this past week? I've always celebrated my own birthday a month (2 weeks before and 2 weeks after). OK, Jay tries to cut it to a week but if I need a rationalization in that month period---I'll likely claim the celebration is still on.

Non-stop celebration---the Party, the After Party, Mexican (Ruby's request at onset of week), Sushi (Willie's request at end of week), Ice Cream (b/c Willie ate so much Sushi the rest of were still hungry and we "deprive" our kids rest of the year to hear the grandparents tell it), Happy Birthday song with the Bison mascot at half time, mailed packages*, birthday wishes from the Bison Radio Network, classroom cupcakes, Encore birthday hostess-- that's how we do it. Four trips to the grocery for iced treats might as well be packed into one week for more punch!

Ruby started her 4th year with sponge rollers and beautiful curls. She is GIRLIE. I warned her they'd be a little uncomfortable. She was so jacked about her first real party which fell on her actual birthday by luck of the calendar and basketball schedule. No complaints from her about the rollers or the joint party with her big brother.



Willie's birthday comes at the end of the week-long celebration. Don't underestimate the sombrero and fried ice cream to make a boy feel special. We grabbed some good friends, The McClendon's, after church and made sure Willie felt super special on his actual birthday. I'm fueled up to mommy through Year 7. His SS teacher who I don't know (big church) made my YEAR when she went out of her way to tell me he was friendly with everyone in his SS class (noted, not the kids he goes to school with) and that he showed extra care for our friend Amelia who gets around in her wheelchair and uses sign language to communicate. Another glimmer of hope to make the life lessons around here worth it. (Cinco de Mayo smears ice cream on your face evidently and that's extra special for a year old boy.) To top this, Daddy comes home today with a big win.

Here's some scenes from the birthday blast at My Gym!





*In the midst of the celebration, Nana sends us 4-6 dozen treats. There was not time for baking at Christmas with Grandma's funeral so Nana thoughtfully decides to treat the kids for their birthdays. Shizzle intercepted the package on the front porch before I ever knew it existed. After a trip to the ER Vet in the ice and snow and $400 later, Shizzle's steal stomach is as good as new. I wanted to be mad at Shizzle. You'd think the fact he was starved as puppy might soften me. I even call him "your dog" when I tell Jay who was nice and warm in the Carnegie Hotel, about Shizz's shenanigans. A couple of days later, it occurs to me that if I had intercepted that package before my children.....the scene might not have costs us $400 but would have looked similar. I can only see myself tearing into those chocolates and cookies and telling these sweet babies that it was so thoughtful of Nana to send them each a dozen cookies:) Shizzle, I deserve you. You saved me from those calories and you've taught my children to get their plates to the sink quickly after dinner! We've all got our issues.

No comments:

Total Pageviews