Saturday, August 30, 2008

Soccer time!


Soccer season is here again!! Today was the first game & it was especially fun. Willie's good friend Clay is playing on our team "the Dragons." Willie is showing Clay the ropes. Clay is the sweetest little guy but he hasn't played before and he is shy. We love his whole family and Willie and Clay are at separate schools this year so we are grateful for the weekly practices/games to see each other. Also, Max from last season is on our team which Jay and I are especially glad b/c his mom and dad and little sister, Anna Bell, are fun to hang with.

Willie had 6 goals today including one goal which was a coast to coast the first drive of the game I've attached in the snapshot. We were having some serious fun. I have to admit between chatting with my soccer friends and chasing Ruby that I had to verify with Jay a couple of times who had actually made the goals---not that it matters of course. Mr. Doug, Jonathan and his girlfriend came to support Willie since he personally invited them this morning.

Oh, yes, if you are wondering.... they are certainly donning pink jerseys. The kids seem fine with it. I assumed it was pretty much a fluke that a boy/girl team ended up with pink. I have since learned that the coach let his daughter pick the color. His daughter also scaled the back of the soccer net during practice, wore a yellow polka dotted bikini to practice and started today's game with her blanket in one hand....In the meantime, I remind myself to be thankful for the dedicated volunteers and to be more childlike....Willie hasn't blinked an eye about the jerseys nor did he notice the coach's daughter yet.

After the game, everyone was telling Willie what a great game he had. He responded by telling them we have a sno-cone maker at home. We do have a little sno cone ice shaver, but why the untimely mention of it??? We did celebrate with sno cones after a nice nap. Then we headed out to Melissa, Bobby, Max and AnnaBell's house for a swim and to enjoy new friendships founded on the soccer fields.

No comments:

Total Pageviews