

Jay also talked to Giovanni this week. Giovanni is our missionary friend from the Dominican. Ironically, Giovanni's mission work is sponosored by a Baptist church here in Nashville so he's coming to town! He's planning to stay with us a couple of nights so we couldn't be more excited. Giovanni is equivalent to like Larry Bird in the Domincan. He played professionally there and then accepted Christ at the age of 21 (first time he'd ever heard the gospel) through a mission trip just like the one Jay and I went on in May. Then he accepted full scholarship to Tennennessee Temple to play basketball. After graduation, he went back to DR, played professionally some more, got married and had these precious cute boys then SCORE International (mission board) asked him to be a full-time missionary.....He took us out on our missions when we were there. He's like a celebrity in the DR. Yes, b/c he played basketball but I think he's more famous now b/c he's got Americans with him who spend $$ and b/c his Americans bring very hungry villages food and play with their children. We can't wait to see you, Giovanni!
Also Tommy and Heather Kyle (Exec Directors of Nations of Coaches) are coming today to check out space at our church for a coaches' wives conference. Funny, I've always thought it would be good for coaches wives to get together now and then to support each other spiritually (b/c a coaches' wife is plainly a calling). Now, I've been asked to help put this conference together.
Then for "loving our neighbors"....well, they loved us and now we're off to start in here in our own neighborhood! Our neighbors right next door set up a little progressive dinner last evening complete with extra hands to take care of all the kids and wonderful food! The neighborhood has had several new families in the last couple of years so they wanted everyone to know each other! We had so much fun. Quite a diverse group. Several countries and many states were represented, lots of physicians, several consultants, and educators. There are also several families with kids going to David Lipscomb Elementary too. We think we might get an invitation to eat authentic Indian food at one of our neighbors and then there's another neighbor who loves to fly fish. He and his wife are renting a house in Montana for the next month. I really thought saliva was about to run out of the side of Jay's mouth. We heard over and over what a wonderful man Mr. Carroll (the former 50+ year owner of our house) so I hope he's looking down on the place and proud of the work we're putting into it. He would definitely be proud to know that Willie and his friend Max went on a "safari" yesterday in this beautiful backyard...so much fun that Ruby got to go on the 2nd one after Max went home.

Yes, that's the cap gun Willie took for protection. (Gran, we're going to need more caps.....I'm pretty sure I may never remember that at the store.)

Now, I need to go clean up all the nature items from those little brown bags that are displayed on the floor downstairs and tend to a few chiggers!
No comments:
Post a Comment