

Jay did arrive home late Thursday night (almost 3 weeks ago) from Turkey. The children and I had hatched a plan to surprise him at the airport. Although no surprise to anyone these days—his flight was delayed. Willie and Ruby still adapt well to changed plans so they gracefully moved into their nighttime routines. I was also grateful for the extra couple of hours to get everything done for my upcoming beach trip with the girls the next morning. Once Jay got home, we had 2 wonderful hours of catching up and visiting about his trip. Jay keeps a detailed journal of his travels so we have the Turkey journal now if anyone decides to visit Turkey. The next morning I stuck around long enough to see the kids jump for joy to see daddy with all the hugs and kisses and Turkish souvenirs. Willie got a Turkey soccer jersey and pearl chess/checkers set. Ruby got a crystal tea set and finger cymbals and Mommy got a kilem (handmade rug) for our den. I've included a picture loving on daddy his first morning home.
By 7:30, I gave my hugs and kisses and headed to the beach to meet my college girlfriends. This is our 12th annual Memorial Day trip. I’ve included a picture of all the girls- Natalie, Gray, Mary Lewis, Wendy, Haley and me. Of course, each of these girls is unique and beautiful in their own way. We all discussed once again how fortunate we feel to have these kinds of friends. They all have a deep abiding faith, beautiful families, and strong confidence. Our discussions did make me realize that I have several groups of friends with deep faith and I’m realizing that this blessing is really amazing! I've also included a picture of the girls (Nat, Gray, Steph, Wen, Haley, & ML)
After the beach, I spent a couple of nights at home and we headed to Starkville to check on Jay’s granddad (Gaggy). Gaggy turned 93 this weekend. We had a wonderful celebration and felt very good about the visit that we had. Gaggy’s health has started declining and hospice is now coming to help care for him. We had a good visit and Jay especially had some good quality time with him. Of course, entertaining the children in the presence of Gaggy and other tired caretakers wasn't really an suitable option. So the kids and I schemed up a day trip to visit Jessica's gang. Mason and Willie as same age plus Nana & Papa brought over Reagan for a big day of swimming, sand box and riding toys. Uncle Jack and Aunt Julia arrived by the end of the day and we closed with grilled burgers before heading back to Starkville. I tell Jay that night that I feel so at peace when I'm on their hill in Hickory. I'm surrounded with folks who love me just as I am and it's just plain good old country living. I am convinced that I could live in the country again.
One funny story while we were in Mississippi. Willie was headed out to play some basketball. His elastic was twisted on his shorts....
Me: Willie let me fix your shorts.
Me: Willie, where's you underwear?
Willie: Mom, no one in my conference wears underwear.
This week was Encore camp for Willie.....they are doing a travel theme where they imaginatively travel to each continent. He's singing about the Amazon and the Nile a good bit and they learned how to play croquet.
This week for start of basketball camp for Jay. He really doesn't enjoy camp month (June) much but I like the fact we eat at the school most every night with him so no cooking. Willie will go to Jr. Bison camp again this year so that week will be fun.
Ruby is talking alot now some of which is understandable.
Today, I headed to Birmingham for a quick trip. My freshmen roommate got married. Cathy is a very special friend and one of the best disciples of Christ I know. I wrote about her recently in a stewardship article I wrote for the church bulletin on "stewardship of the gospel" which I've included below. She deserves all the joy of the world as Mrs. Jeff Carver. I was thankful to be there. Plus Natalie and I met each other there and enjoyed the ceremony and reception together.
Stewardship of the Gospel
My freshman roommate, Cathy, has purposefully and prayerfully carried the Gospel to Mexico, Uganda, Ghana and Greece among other places. She has been characterized as intense and is focused every day (even the ordinary days) where and how God will use her that day. When I think of someone who is a good steward of the Gospel, I automatically think of Cathy.
Ironically, every time Cathy shares her testimony she tells about me—her freshman roommate. Really? Why? She tells me that those first weeks of our freshman year she saw Christ in me in how I smiled and how I truly loved my friends. I wish I could take credit for having something to do with that. I wish I could say I had intended to lead Cathy to her very real and genuine walk with the Lord. I did not have that intention.
My experience with Cathy has taught me we often don’t know how we will be carrying the Gospel. But, we can carry the Gospel in very simple ways. We can carry the Gospel everyday in our smiles, attitudes, and relationships. God will do the rest.
Hopefully, things will slow down and I will not be posting 3 weeks at time again.
No comments:
Post a Comment