.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
Here's some pics from the well our Sunday School Class (Faithbuilders) dug in Africa this week! The well is located in the village of Mtanga (pronounced M tonga) and will be used by 4 villages with an estimated coverage of 1,500 to 2,000 people. We received a message from the people of Mtanga to the Faithbuilders - "May God Bless You and thank you for your generous gift".
We've been part of the Faithbuilders class for almost 10 years now. Well, we didn't even have a class name when we joined a few other couples back in 1999 at Brentwood United Methodist Church. Now, our roster is probably 50-60 couples (just a guess). I have actually counted our kids a while back, and we were nearing 150 kids so it's probably even more couples. When we joined there were zero kids. So, yes, we've grown in number, but the coolest thing is looking back over the last 10 years is to see how we've all grown in Christ together.
The water well is just one of the things we've tackled lately. One of my friends, Angel, felt called to build this well. And she did it through Christ with the help of her brothers and sisters in Christ.
In fact, we got together Thanksgiving meals for 20 families over the last couple of weeks because of the calling of another friend. another friend organizes the stuffing of 400 Christmas stockings from the Salvation Army which we did tonight in honor of a Faithbuilder's child that went to heaven at 19 months. She was Willie's age and would be 5 this December. Not to mention the things that individuals are giving themselves to each day. We experience and hear stories each week of how Christ is in us and we're called to action each day in sometimes small and sometimes big ways.
In fact, Jay might not tell you so I'll let you know he is teaching English as a Second Language to a guy that works at Lipscomb, and he has lunch buddy at a inner city elementary school. His lunch buddy comes up to his knee. No lie. He's tiny. Ruby is almost taller than this first grader.
I'm thinking I'm going to coach basketball again this Winter at that same school--first and second grade boys. (I know Jay is the more logical pick here but he's kind of tied up during basketball season.) One of my players from last year, visited our church with his friends from our church's afterschool program in their neighborhood. He sang a solo. When the kids were filing out, I caught his eye and he said in a LOUD whisper, "hey, there's my coach!" That sealed the deal.....I'm going to do it again which is extra fun b/c Willie is on our team. Of course, I'm not much of a fundamentals coach but I know some lingo and I can hopefully shine a bright enough light they will remember it for years to come.
I feel super blessed to be a part of God's plan for us all. I'm challenged by my Faithbuilder peers to give away myself as I was created to do.
1 comment:
We miss Faithbuilders and all the amazing fellowship and good works that went along with it. I love the blog!
Post a Comment