Friday, May 16, 2008

Being a coach's wife (& remembering/recording a milestone)

This afternoon my friend Tasha brought her kids over for a playdate. We had pizza delivered and enjoyed the chaos of our children. Our sons are about 7 months apart and our daughters are about 4 months apart. Tasha and I met through some coaching friends and she's a truly a God-send. So while I guess we met through our husbands, they really barely know each other since they have alternating seasons. Derek coaches baseball at Vandy which reminds me that God does know what he is doing.

While I always say I feel like I was called to be a coach's wife, I could not have been a baseball coach's wife . (Dear God, those games are long, in multiples and I'm totally freaked out by foul balls.) Anyway, being married to a college coach is not for everyone and it can be tough sometimes. I truly eat it up though. I love the players, games, and the process. I guess that's the key....understanding and appreciating the process. Quite frankly, I think I'm pretty good at the role and I'm not easily impressed---but let me tell you about Tasha.

Tasha rarely complains (if ever). She understands the process of recruiting, strategizing, winning, losing and career building....Lastly, this girl is independent yet recognizes when she needs help and is really not scared to tackle anything solo. In fact, Teague (her son) has really been wanting Willie to spend the night. Tasha called today with the invitation since Derek and Jay were out of town.

Whoa! Are we already there? With Jay on his extended trip, I could use the break I guess so I asked Willie in advance if he wanted to spend the night with Teague. He lit up and said, "I would LOVE that." He didn't hesitate or even bat an eye before eagerly accepting the invitation. I tried to make sure he understood I wouldn't be there at bedtime etc. which honestly seemed to not phase him one iota.

I struggled to remember the first time I spent the night with a friend (not Grandma) and how old I was. I had to be at least in first grade. Best I could remember was a spend the night party where sleeping bags were required. Everyone seemed to have a sleeping bag except me. Daddy took me to Otasco in Brandon and got me the only sleeping bag they had on the bottom shelf--Benji (the dog). Do you remember that one daddy?

Anyway, I conjured up these memories trying to remember if I was as independent as Willie at the age of 4. He honestly amazes me sometimes. He did put his favorite stuffed animals ("puppy," "yellow bear," and "wee Willie winkie") which he refers to as his "pals" in his bag but other than that...we hugged, kissed & fived (our ritual) for him to say "I see you all the time" and he headed out the door.

Of course, he has his pals with him and I'm pretty sure he has his 66 brothers with him too. If you don't know, Willie has 66 brothers. They are all named which Jay has all of their names written down in Willie's quote book. We have learned about these brothers over the course of time.....and, on occasion, you'll hear Willie actually talking to them. By the way, Jay, Willie's brother Rand has died while you are in Istanbul.

It's awfully quiet around here now that Ruby is snoozing and I thank my fellow coach's wife for being so courageous for having my son to spend the night but mostly for being so strong year round.

No comments:

Total Pageviews